29 Before 30
I did it. I made it another year around the sun. Although society will tell you that 2016 was hell, I try and focus on the good that came this year. I found a way to deal with stress and anxiety, although not always successfully. I work every day to let go of negativity in my life, whether its bad vibes I've been carrying around for years or new influences. And I visited a place and experienced a culture that completely changed how I view my life and the world. I can truly say I am not the same person I was on January 27, 2016.
Today also marks my final year in my 20s. I have mixed feelings about turning 30 but I guess I have 12 months to sort that out.
Here are my 29 goals for my 29th year:
- Stop Setting Unrealistic Goals and Expectations for Myself - I have a habit of setting lofty goals for myself that weigh down on me. Even just a simple weekend to-do list. I have an issue with being over-ambitious then letting it negatively affect me... even if the goal was unrealistic anyway. I know this may sound counter-intuitive to this entire list, but rest assured these are all just general guidelines.
- Keep Traveling - In my 28th year, I ended up doing a fair amount of traveling including Colorado to attend the outdoor Red Wings hockey game and to Iceland which was absolutely amazing. We also did a lot of our normal Michigan travels throughout the summer. Traveling changes you. Usually for the good so it would be wise to keep going.
- Live More Minimalist-icly - I've noticed that we have accumulated a lot of stuff in our house. Stuff we don't need, things we've never used, and stuff we'd never miss if it disappeared. I really want to downsize my belongings and live more simplistic.
- Complain Less - Even I'm starting to complain about the amount in which I complain. It's annoying and it has to stop.
- Drink More Water - I'm sorry. This always ends up on my list. I am literally the worst adult when it comes to drinking the proper amount of water in a day.
- Take My Vitamins - Again, why is this simple adult task so hard for me? I'm going to stop writing now so I can take today's vitamins.
- Read More - I received a Kindle for Christmas so I am super excited about having books more readily accessible while I'm out and about on the go! I set a low goal for myself of 10 books. Hopefully I'll be an over achiever.
- Continue to be Career Oriented - I think one of the most critical moments of my twenties was when I decided to focus more on my career, bettering myself professionally, and living up to my full potential. There's not time to plateau now.
- Become More Involved in the Industry - In the last year I have become increasingly involved in the industry (Automotive Public Relations Council and MICHauto Awarness Committee). So whether that means the automotive industry or communications and PR, I need to keep it up being as involved as possible with the world around me.
- Clean Out My Closet - I made a huge purge last year and I want to make sure I keep it up. I plan to schedule a pick-up through DonateStuff.com for every four months to keep my closet in check.
- Keep on Yoga-ing - This year a new yoga studio opened up a few blocks from my house. It had been several years since I had been a regular practitioner but I decided to sign up for a monthly membership and get back into physical and mental shape. Thankfully yoga has done wonders for not only my strength and flexibility but also for my stress and anxiety.
- Revise Savings Plan - My plan for my personal savings has really been on autopilot since I bought my house 4 years ago. A lot has changed since then and I really could be doing more to save and invest my savings.
- Keeping Up - I have a hard time keeping up with my own life. Laundry gets ignored for weeks, my schedule is insane... so if keeping up means downsizing, then that's what I have to do. I can't keep running around trying to stay on top of things.
- Go On A Road Trip - I just want to spend a few days driving around, covering a lot of land, and stopping along the way to see local attractions. No real plan. Just a whole lot of fun.
- Wake Up Earlier - I've gotten into a really bad habit of staying in bed until the last possible moment. That stops now.
- Spend More Time Outside - More bonfires. More dinners on the patio. More BBQing. More reading in the hammock. More everything outdoors.
- Try New Things - Whether it is food, experiences, or outlooks this is my year to try new things.
- Volunteer More - For a few years I was doing really good with volunteering and giving back, especially since I was a Girl Scout Leader. But in the last year I've really slacked. Time to change that.
- Pack My Lunch More - Do you know how much money you can waste over the course of a year by buying lunch at work instead of packing a lunch or eating leftovers? It's insane. Here's my vow to pack my lunch more often.
- Master Gardening - Or at least stop killing every plant that ends up on my property.
- Write More - A lot happened this year which was probably one of the main reasons why my writing decreased. This year I vow to write more for my blog as well as increase my freelance writing.
- Keep My Desk Clean and Organized - It's amazing how much junk can accumulate over the course of a day or two.
- Revise Bedtime Routine - I've gotten into a bad habit of going to bed far too late then proceeding to watch TV until I fall asleep. I was waking up exhausted. Starting this year I am going to bed a reasonable time with my Kindle instead of the TV remote.
- Focus Business - Including my freelance work, workshop hosting, and creative endeavors I have a lot going on. This may be my year to focus and put all my time and effort into just one or two.
- Listen More - Take the time to listen to those around me and be more intuitive.
- Be a Good Friend - If the last couple years have taught me anything, it is the value of a true friend. Just like anything good in life, being a good friend is hard work.
- Learn to Code - Why? Because it is the key to our future and because I definitely need another hobby.
- Worry Less - I focused on this a lot last year and I'll continue to work on it probably for the rest of my life
- Plan for the Big 3-0 - A year from today I will be turning 30 and I want to make sure I'm somewhere special celebrating the big day. Who knows where that will be!
Here's to another wonderful 365 days!